Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snowplowing

A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to ride along with our Road Foreman, Frank Young in our nice shiny new red truck on a snowplow run.

Let me tell you - I now have a totally different perspective for what it takes to plow our roads and keep them safe for us to travel. Thank you Frank for allowing me to ride along with you, and for the great job that you and Zach (Albert) do to keep the roads clear for us.

Having had this experience, I now understand the importance of moving our cars off the street so that he has enough room to get by with the plow. Whenever it snows, all of us in the 600 block of Broad Street automatically move our cars to the side streets, or, if we're fortunate enough, we put them in our garages. This is always done - we don't wait for a "snow emergency" to be declared. I assumed (shame on me) that the rest of us did the same thing. I was disappointed to learn, however, that was not the case. I know it's inconvenient - we all like having our cars parked in front of our houses, but . . . if everyone moved their cars, Frank (and / or Zach) would be able to clear the roads from curb to curb, and we would all wind up better off in the end - no mounds of snow in the middle of the road, plowed in cars, etc.

So, I'm asking you - when it snows, if possible, please remove your cars from the main streets (Main, Broad, High) - and for those of you in North Tatamy, please park in your driveways so that the roads can be cleared. The next day, you can move your cars from the side streets, and they will be cleared as well. Let's all work together - it will benefit all of us in the end.

Thanks for "listening". Have a great day!

No comments: